Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.2). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Links to Private INDIs showing 404 errors

• StuartG
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #1 by StuartG
I recently received an email from Google Search Console advising me, among other things, of a significant increase in the number of URLs returning a 404 (not found) error. I have checked a selection of these errors and they appear to relate to living people. Perhaps they should return a 403 (forbidden) error?

Stuart
webtrees 2.1.17
⚶ Vesta Modules
PHP 8.2.0
MariaDB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Links to Private INDIs showing 404 errors
AFAICT, these are links from from "private" boxes on charts - and have been fixed since the 1.7.3 release

> Perhaps they should return a 403 (forbidden) error?

The HTTP specs says that if you give a 403, you should give a reason. If you don't wish to give a reason, then you can give a 404 instead. (Google seems to treat all 4xx errors the same).

Since we give a deliberately ambiguous message "This individual does not exist or you do not have permission to see it", then a 404 is correct.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• StuartG
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 month ago #3 by StuartG
Replied by StuartG on topic Links to Private INDIs showing 404 errors
Thanks Greg,

As expected. You are on top of this.

Stuart
webtrees 2.1.17
⚶ Vesta Modules
PHP 8.2.0
MariaDB