Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.4). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Server Connection Collation

• rhhollin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #1 by rhhollin
Server Connection Collation was created by rhhollin
Is there a specific server connection collation required for webtrees? I was adding a new database to my host site which required a specific collation and after I did that, webtrees could no longer be accessed. Any clues as to the correct collation for webtrees would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Server Connection Collation
webtrees creates tables with utf8_unicode_ci.
webtrees connects using utf8_unicode_ci.

BUT, webtrees will use language-specific collations when it is sorting data.

> I was adding a new database to my host site which required a specific collation

Databases don't have a collation. The have a "default collation", which will be used when adding tables - if the table definition doesn't include one.
Similarly, tables don't have a collation. They have a "default collation", which will be used when adding columns - if the column definition doesn't include one.

Basically, it doesn't matter what collation you use when you create a database, webtrees will always specify the collation it wants when it create tables and runs queries.

> after I did that, webtrees could no longer be accessed

It is unlikely that changing collation would prevent access. Give us more details on "no longer be accessed". Do you get an error message, etc.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• rhhollin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #3 by rhhollin
Replied by rhhollin on topic Server Connection Collation
Thanks for the clarification on the collation. Here is the message that I get when I attempt to open webtrees:

"This website is temporarily unavailable

Oops! The webserver is unable to connect to the database server. It could be busy, undergoing maintenance, or simply broken. You should try again in a few minutes or contact the website administrator.
If you are the website administrator, you should check that:

the database connection settings in the file “/data/config.ini.php” are still correct
the folder “/data” and the file “/data/config.ini.php” have access permissions that allow the webserver to read them
you can connect to the database using other applications, such as phpmyadmin

If you cannot resolve the problem yourself, you can ask for help on the forums at webtrees.net."

I have not changed anything in the webtrees config files, so hard to see how that would be the cause. Any further suggestions are appreciated. I have not yet contact my host site support, but will do that if it appears that there is nothing else to be checked on my end.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
7 years 9 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Server Connection Collation
If webtrees was able to connect to the database, this page would show a MySQL error message.

I suggest you look at the file data/config.ini.php

It should look like something like this:
Code:
; <?php exit; ?> DO NOT DELETE THIS LINE dbhost="localhost" dbport="3306" dbuser="XXXXXX" dbpass="XXXXXX" dbname="XXXXXX" tblpfx="wt_"

Are the server/account details (XXXXXX) all correct?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• rhhollin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #5 by rhhollin
Replied by rhhollin on topic Server Connection Collation
Thanks, that solved the problem. Apparently the user password had gotten screwed up, I reset it and now the site is working fine. Thanks!

• rhhollin
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 9 months ago #6 by rhhollin
Replied by rhhollin on topic [SOLVED] Server Connection Collation
Problem solved.