Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.8). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Reuse of same source/citation on multiple events

• KeithS
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #1 by KeithS
I searched the forums and couldn't find this topic covered previously.

I have a single document, letter from an Aunt to my late Father. it contains names and birthcate and place for about 25 individuals on her side of the family.
Each birth event entry will have the same citation.
How can I enter the source citation once and reuse it on each of the other events. (Is direct GEDCOM edit the only way to do this)

Any suggestions welcome.

Hosting: GoDaddy: CPanel Shared: webtrees: 2.1.19 : PHP Version 8.1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #2 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Reuse of same source/citation on multiple events
On every fact that you have, look at the bottom for the"add source citation" action. After clicking it you are presented with a screen that asked for a "source". You can search for an already added source by click on the book. Find the source you want to add to the fact, fill in the remaining information to complete the citation and you are done.

The Source Record represents the document, the citation you create, represents the connection of the fact to the source document. For a single page source document not much is needed in the citation information. The citation detail is usually reserved for a page number in a multi-page source document.

Ken
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by norwegian_sardines.

• KeithS
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #3 by KeithS
Thanks for that response Ken, it makes it makes good sense. My issue may be arising from the way I have set up my documents.
I am just trying to find a way to save time and typing with this question. Let me explain my setup in a little more detail and maybe get some further ideas.

Over the years i have a collected a significant pile of documents/copies/letters/emails etc. stored at my house. So I uses Home/address as a Repository.
Docs are stored in ring binders, I have designated each ringbinder as a Source
To each Document (typically 1 to 5 pages) I have allocated a unique serial number which I use as the identifier for Citation

So Repos=Home / Source=Ringbinder_A / Citation=00575 and description and text etc.

Quite often a single "citation" in my context may have info covering 20 or more events on yhe same page (citation / unique ID)
I was hoping to be able to <Edit/Add evnt> <Link to the existing fully described and identified citation> i.e. a one click operation - I'm an optimist ....

Also consistency in describing the citation details.

My citation looks like this
2 SOUR @S1@
3 PAGE Doc. No. 0 000 001
3 DATA
4 TEXT Typed Family information from Joan Leigh received by Fred Struwig around 1998
4 DATE ABOUT 1999
3 QUAY 2

I have so just a few minutes ago figured out that using edit Gedcom cut and paste works quite well, but it feels like an under the hood way to do it.

Is there possibly a better / or different way for me to structure things? Or a better method?
(As a 1970s programmer I have this conditioned aversion to duplication 1.44Mb stiffies have something to do with it)

Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by KeithS. Reason: info add

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
7 years 5 months ago #4 by thomas52
This is much similar to a family bible or other family document. Create a source listing the nature of the document, owner, date, etc.. You can also scan the document & link the image.
For examples of my approach, see: www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I120 ~ also www.adkins.ws/individual.php?pid=I011
Note the sources cited & images linked for the birth events. Also note the links on the bible transcription.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 5 months ago #5 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Reuse of same source/citation on multiple events
One of the few flaws in the GEDCOM standard (when used as a database design) is that the "Citation" data elements are not normalized into their own record. Therefore because webtrees uses the standard for its database these data points are retained as part of the fact which is part of the individual.

Your solution is about the only way to copy citation data to multiple facts, HOWEVER, maybe copying a fact (there is a button for this) from one person to another would do the same thing. By this I mean, if a birth fact is the same for 10 people (including citation) except for the date, maybe copying the fact would save time. Just change the date after the copy is complete.

I have not tired this but you could to see what happens, report back with your findings.

On a side note.

Accumulating information in a binder or file cabinet and making that binder a source is fine. As a librarian I see this all the time. Depending on how you organize the binder and create "finding aids" will determine how you number, store, and find a particular document.

One of the reasons a library has a card catalog (also called a "finding aid") is so that you can place a document anywhere in your collection and still find it so long as once you store the item it is always in the same place. I create unique numbers for my sources (as well as people) by using an accession numbering (a date and order received number) scheme. Therefore all items in my home repository are stored by accession number rather than alphabetical. All people, sources (photos, documents and books) and families have these identifiers.

HOWEVER... If you system works I would not change a thing.

Ken

More
7 years 5 months ago #6 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Reuse of same source/citation on multiple events
> One of the few flaws in the GEDCOM standard (when used as a database design) is that the "Citation" data elements are not normalized into their own record.

I agree 100%.

If there is a lot of citation text and/or media files, then I also use your approach of copy/pasting the raw GEDCOM data.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• KeithS
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #7 by KeithS
>"Citation" data elements are not normalized
- confirmed my suspicions

>copy/pasting the raw GEDCOM data
- this is actually quite efficient when you get into the swing of it, especially if you deal with a batch of fact/events using the same citation

>copying a fact (there is a button for this)
- I haven't found this button yet, I will look later when i have other priorities sorted but currently copy/paste is working for me.

>accession numbering
- I have been using a meaning free sequence # for each source, book, URL and document my "Master Document Index" maintained in Excel searchable, filterable.
essentially my card catalogue I'd say, its working for me.

Thanks a mill for the input Ken,Greg,Thomas

• KeithS
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #8 by KeithS
Problem solved.

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
7 years 5 months ago #9 by thomas52
Keith S: When logged on, you will see to the left of each event and under the event description, 3 icons: edit (pencil), copy (copy) & delete (X).
Clip on the copy icon. Navigate to any other individual.
At the bottom of the events for that individual you will see "Add from clipboard", "(event description/detail)", "Add"
Simply click on "add" to add that described event to the new individual.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

• KeithS
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 5 months ago #10 by KeithS
* slaps forehead *
I have been using this app for years and "doing it my way" the copy button didnt even register. What do they call it , a scotoma. Thanks for the lesson thomas52.