Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.8). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Redirectionproblem after update

• Malte
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #1 by Malte
Redirectionproblem after update was created by Malte
Hello all!

I've updated my old webtrees 1.2.3 to the current version (1.7.8= and now it is broken. I get an error to many redirects when I call my site. I've tried it with firefox, chrome and deleteed all cookies - no success.

In short to my updateprocess. I came from 1.2.3 and updated to 1.5.1 that works correct. Then I used the autoupdate function and now it is broken. When I now install the 1.5.1 again, it also didn't work. It seems thats now some settings are incorrect.

I also tried to call the index.php with the parameter ged=<ged-filename> but no success.

Any Ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Redirectionproblem after update
If you posted the URL, we'd be able to see exactly what redirects are happening...

Did you set the "SERVER_URL" parameter? If so, try removing it (from the wt_site_setting_ table) from your database (e.g. using phpMyAdmin)

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Malte
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #3 by Malte
Replied by Malte on topic Redirectionproblem after update
I'm not aware if I ever set the SERVER_URL manuelly, but it was set to stammbaum.hiapo.de:443/

As you suggested I deleted the tablerow and now I get this output:
Code:
/var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/includes/session.php:193 /var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/app/Theme.php:85 Redefining already defined constructor for class Fisharebest\webtrees\Theme #0 /vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php:412 ErrorException("/var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/app/Theme.php:85 Redefining already defined constructor for class Fisharebest\webtrees\Theme") #1 /vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php:412 Composer\Autoload\includeFile() #2 /vendor/composer/ClassLoader.php:301 Composer\Autoload\includeFile('/var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/ap…') #3 unknown:unknown loadClass('Fisharebest\\webtrees\\Theme') #4 /includes/session.php:472 spl_autoload_call('Fisharebest\\webtrees\\Theme') #5 /login.php:30 require('/var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/in…')

If you like you can try it by yourown: stammbaum.hiapo.de

More
7 years 3 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Which version of PHP do you use on this server?

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• Malte
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #5 by Malte

fisharebest wrote: Which version of PHP do you use on this server?

More
7 years 3 months ago #6 by fisharebest
In the file app/Theme.php, near the top, is the following
Code:
/** * PHP 5.3.2 requires a constructor when there is also a method * called theme() */ private function __construct() { }

What happens if you delete this block of code?

• Malte
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #7 by Malte
I'll try it - but no luck. Now I get an Error 500.

Here is the link to the modified file: stammbaum.hiapo.de/app/Theme.php.txt

And here is the reason:
Code:
[Tue Dec 13 16:55:46 2016] [error] [client 37.209.41.156] PHP Fatal error: Constructor Fisharebest\\webtrees\\Theme::theme() cannot be static in /var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/app/Theme.php on line 89 [Tue Dec 13 16:55:51 2016] [error] [client 37.209.41.156] PHP Fatal error: Constructor Fisharebest\\webtrees\\Theme::theme() cannot be static in /var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/app/Theme.php on line 89

But I found also this message from the morning. Maybe it is interesting:
Code:
[Tue Dec 13 10:26:46 2016] [error] [client 137.108.145.23] Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/themes/ [Tue Dec 13 10:26:51 2016] [error] [client 137.108.145.23] File does not exist: /var/www/stammbaum/httpdocs/theme

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
7 years 3 months ago #8 by bertkoor
Replied by bertkoor on topic Redirectionproblem after update
In your httpdocs folder you should have:
Code:
app/Theme.php app/Theme/AbstractTheme.php app/Theme/AdministrationTheme.php app/Theme/CloudsTheme.php app/Theme/webtreesTheme.php themes/_administration/theme.php themes/clouds/theme.php themes/webtrees/theme.php

That's a basic list for two themes (Clouds & webtrees) and not listing a lot of other stuff sitting in the same folders

But it looks like the access to the themes folder is too restrictive. Funny, because that folder structure was there in v1.3 as well.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

More
7 years 3 months ago #9 by fisharebest
You are using an ancient / obsolete version of PHP. (2010-04-04).

Although it claims to be 5.3.2, many Linux distributions (e.g. Debian, RedHat, Fedora, etc.) actually provide a custom build that contains patches from later versions - but still call it 5.3.2. Hence "5.3.2" can mean many things. For example, it may have fixes that were actually introduced in 5.3.9.

The code you removed was a workaround to support other versions of "5.3.2". FYI, according to the dev.webtrees.net/statistics.html there are 4 sites running successfully with PHP 5.3.2.

Fixing the code to work with your particular version of PHP would involve renaming the function Theme::theme - but this would break many other third-party modules and themes. I'm not going to do this.

You *really* should upgrade your server to a supported version of PHP - either 5.6 or 7.0

If you can't do this (you should!), then I suggest that you do not upgrade webtrees higher than 1.6 (this problematic code was introduced in 1.7.0).
Now, the upgrade to 1.7 would have made some database changes that cannot easily be downgraded to work with 1.6.
You will need a backup copy of your database from before the upgrade.

> But I found also this message from the morning. Maybe it is interesting:

That was me. Ignore it.

• Malte
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #10 by Malte

fisharebest wrote: You are using an ancient / obsolete version of PHP. (2010-04-04).

Yes, I know it.

fisharebest wrote: Although it claims to be 5.3.2, many Linux distributions (e.g. Debian, RedHat, Fedora, etc.) actually provide a custom build that contains patches from later versions - but still call it 5.3.2. Hence "5.3.2" can mean many things. For example, it may have fixes that were actually introduced in 5.3.9.

The code you removed was a workaround to support other versions of "5.3.2". FYI, according to the dev.webtrees.net/statistics.html there are 4 sites running successfully with PHP 5.3.2.

Fixing the code to work with your particular version of PHP would involve renaming the function Theme::theme - but this would break many other third-party modules and themes. I'm not going to do this.

You *really* should upgrade your server to a supported version of PHP - either 5.6 or 7.0

My intention was to upgrade to the last possible version on this server and then copy it to a new system with php 7 only. So after I read the documentation that 1.7.8 should work with my version 5.3.2 I decided to update it on my old server.

So my new plan is. Restore the backup to my old version 1.2.3 and update it to the first php 7 aware version. This version I will then copy to my new server.

Which is the first version with support for php 7?

fisharebest wrote: If you can't do this (you should!)

More
7 years 3 months ago #11 by fisharebest
> Which is the first version with support for php 7?

I can't remember. Sorry. Most likely the first version that was released after the release of PHP7.0

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 3 months ago #12 by bertkoor

fisharebest wrote: > Which is the first version with support for php 7?

I can't remember. Sorry. Most likely the first version that was released after the release of PHP7.0

PHP 7.0 was released about one year ago (December 2015)
It was also then that the first forum post mentioning PHP7 surfaces.
That topic links to a commit record in git which is first contained in the tag (and thus version) 1.7.3

Malte wrote: So my new plan is. Restore the backup to my old version 1.2.3 and update it to the first php 7 aware version.

Imho you could as well go directly to the latest version.

• Malte
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
7 years 3 months ago #13 by Malte
I have copied all the data from my old system to a new server with php 7.

Until now all things are working.

Thank you for your help.

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #14 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic Problem after PHP update to 7.0
sorry to bother you the last day of this year. So at first, I wish you all the best for 2017.

Today I got the information that it would be good to update my php server version from 5.6.21 to the next actual one.
I did so and updated to php 7.0 but my page didn't work.

So I switched back to the old php version 5.6.21 and I deactivated all non webtrees modules in the admin panel.

Now I switched back to php 7.0 and the site worked fine, as well as the admin panel.
But when I tried to open the module admistration to switch on the deactivated modules I get only a white page.

What's the hell is blocking here ? Can you please give me a hint ?

Both MAUPILLÉ & RAUHUT families are using webtrees V2.1.18
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Andreas.

More
7 years 2 months ago #15 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Problem after PHP update to 7.0
blank page means PHP error
check your webserver error logs

More
7 years 2 months ago - 7 years 2 months ago #16 by Andreas
Oups. The error log today is nearly empty . only one line:
[Sat Dec 31 09:49:05 2016] [error] [client 193.169.252.98] [host andreas.rauhut.eu] (103)Software caused connection abort: Failed to flush CGI output to client

the web log contains lots of information that I am not able to understand completely:
I attach a file with some lines of the log.
my IP : 95.222.27.102

File Attachment:

File Name: web-log_wt...t-eu.txt
File Size:18 KB

Hope you are able to se something

Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Andreas.

More
7 years 2 months ago #17 by Andreas
I read some lines about log-file format here: wiki

95.222.27.102 wt.rauhut.eu - [31/Dec/2016:16:06:18 +0100] "GET /admin_modules.php HTTP/1.1" 500 25 " wt.rauhut.eu/admin_module_sidebar.php " "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0"

The return code 500 is telling me thats an error. And how can I find more detailed information ?

More
7 years 2 months ago #18 by eh215
Replied by eh215 on topic Redirectionproblem after update
That message is from the web server's access log.

There should be an error log as well. If your host company uses CPANEL as the interface, look for an Error Log icon. If you are on a shared host, the log will show a large log file with errors that came from each of the sites hosted on that server, often highlighting those for you in red.

Because that log can be very active if there are many web sites on the same server, you may need to open two browser windows, one for your site and one for the error log.

Trigger the error on your site and then refresh the window with the error log and you should find some messages that will help Greg.

Eric

More
7 years 2 months ago #19 by Andreas
Replied by Andreas on topic Redirectionproblem after update
Yes, I understand. But in the error log I found only the one line that I mentioned in my request above. This is in mho in no context with my problem.

I switched back to php 7.0 and I'm not able to open the module managing page. That's all. I don't find a way to have more detailed information than the 500 error

95.222.27.102 wt.rauhut.eu - [01/Jan/2017:16:01:02 +0100] "GET /admin_modules.php HTTP/1.1" 500 25 " wt.rauhut.eu/admin_site_config.php?action=site " "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0"

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
7 years 2 months ago #20 by bertkoor
Do you have any custom modules installed?
Remove their folder(s) then chances are you can get into module administration again.

Try add the custom modules again, one by one. Once you found the offending one: contact the developer you have an issue with php7.