Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question Familysearch.org is there any way to import data

More
5 years 9 months ago #1 by mtunn
Familysearch.org is there any way to import data into my webtree got on branch that could go back to BC by a few hundred years ( it maybe incorrect however looking in to it) I would like put it into my tree with out doing by hand.

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3MQY-TSL this is the link to it.

Thanks Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thomas52
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Western North Carolina
More
5 years 9 months ago #2 by thomas52
"You cannot download GEDCOM's from the online version." See www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Pedigree_Resource_File
This suggests you can download differently or from another version?, but no entirely clear.

"Failure is an amazing teacher." (L'échec est un professeur extraordinaire.)

More
5 years 9 months ago #3 by mtunn
Yes I got into that a bit and got lost could not figure it out so I gave up. Was hoping for a quick fix of some sort.

• ToyGuy
  • Live like it's Christmas every day - Santa Stephen
More
5 years 9 months ago #4 by ToyGuy
Just be careful about importing other peoples' work - if you can call it that. GIGO (Garbage in -> Garbage out).
I have yet to find any decent tree on even one of my branches that is documented and even close to accurate.
Most have my wife's father's name as her GF, and so forth.

Santa Stephen the Fabled Santa
Latest webtrees at MyArnolds.com
Hosted by webtreesonline.com , a division of GeneHosts LLC
MacOS 10.6.8, Apache 2.2+, PHP 5.4.16, MySQL 5.5.28

• norwegian_sardines
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #5 by norwegian_sardines
Replied by norwegian_sardines on topic Familysearch.org is there any way to import data
Genealogists tend to be skeptical of other people's work unless they know that their work is well documented with sources that can be looked up and verified and assumptions or decisions that are made have written explanations in the content of the document.

I tend to not believe much of the trees presented on sites like ancestry because they are never/rarely documented, have little in the way of notes or explanations regarding decisions made or paths taken. In many cases they are copies of other peoples work and therefore carry any initial errors the primary collector made and never get updated to reflect any corrections made later in the process.

This is not to say they are not helpful in my efforts but I tend to want to enter them myself so they match my data entry standards including all sourcing material that I can find. This process does make for a lot of work on my part by re-tracing other people's work, but like any good genealogist and data scientist my research is only as good as the documentation I manage that proves my assumptions and findings. This may include any controversial decisions or questionable paths that I take that other researchers dispute and why I made the decision vs the other's thoughts.

This, for me, is one of the reasons that most of us long time users of webtrees have never pushed for any simpler or more straight forward data imports of other people's work and/or data.

This may be a flaw in my/our thinking, but it seams to make sense to me.

Ken

More
5 years 9 months ago #6 by mtunn
Ya I am sceptical of my direct tree ( TUNN and WALDRON) and have worked very hard to keep it as accurate as possible, when it comes to my direct tree. Some of the side trees not so much their work are 2nd and 3rd or more cousins so it is kinda what ever they got I have imported 2 other trees so far.

At Ancestry it is sometimes hard to deceiver people. I have found that my great great grand mother was a Edwards and follow that name back it brings me to Henry VIII and affair he supposedly had with my grand mother X 17 it seems to well documented from different places and stories So I figure I will go with it I am able to take that name back to BC not that it is all true but time will tell I guess. Both the Tudor and Edwards family just seem to keep going back for hundreds of years.

I have been obsessed with my last name TUNN since the 80's When I went to an LDS church to research it. There has never been more than 100 living at one time in the world so figured it should be easy. ya right

Anyways was just hoping there was a short cut the royal family goes back past 1000 years BC think it would be fun to brag about it and sort have it documented.

Thanks

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
5 years 9 months ago #7 by bertkoor
You really mean "BC" as in "Before Christ"?

If I follow the paternal ancestry of Henry VIII on Wikipedia, it only takes 9 generations to get back to Ednyfed Fychan in the 12th century where the sources appear to be "lore" only.

For what it's worth, I've see many Dutch trees containing Charlemagne (8th century AD) and these all have mothers aged just two years old and other blatant errors.

Anyway, I've always assumed the GEDCOMS submitted to the LDS are going just in one direction and aren't to be downloaded (only partially viewed)

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #8 by mtunn
Yes very leary of a lot of it this one that goes back to the BC and I have noticed similar errors. But It must be recorded in history some where so at some point in the near future many trees should come together.

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:9415-746 This link is the one that took me back that far again who knows

www.geni.com/list?focus_id=4255446140690064778 This site confirmed many of the names and I have not done the leg work to confirm it or even if it could be.

www.tunn.com/gen/individual.php?pid=I168&ged=tree1 And this is my link is what I have done so far with my tree with ties me to Henry.
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by mtunn. Reason: update

• bertkoor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Greetings from Utrecht, Holland
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #9 by bertkoor

mtunn wrote: Yes very leary of a lot of it this one that goes back to the BC and I have noticed similar errors. But It must be recorded in history some where so at some point in the near future many trees should come together.

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:9415-746 This link is the one that took me back that far again who knows

Right, from Henry VIII back to Robert the Bruce, back to Charlemagne, back to Jesus Christ, Mozes and Adam and finally The Lord himself!

You really need to read this wikipedia article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_from_antiquity
and then stop researching anything before 1500 AD.
I got to that page when researching the ancestry of Charlemagne (which I could trace in the ancestry of Henry VIII) and stroke this guy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnulf_of_Metz of whom not that much is known with any degree of certainty.

And a great read I found shortly after that:
www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfre...agne-adam-rutherford

This is merely a numbers game. You have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, and so on. But this ancestral expansion is not borne back ceaselessly into the past. If it were, your family tree when Charlemagne was Le Grand Fromage would harbour more than a billion ancestors – more people than were alive then. What this means is that pedigrees begin to fold in on themselves a few generations back, and become less arboreal, and more web-like. In 2013, geneticists Peter Ralph and Graham Coop showed that all Europeans are descended from exactly the same people. Basically, everyone alive in the ninth century who left descendants is the ancestor of every living European today, including Charlemagne, Drogo, Pippin and Hugh. Quel dommage.

stamboom.BertKoor.nl runs on webtrees v1.7.13
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by bertkoor.

More
5 years 9 months ago #10 by mtunn
Ya I know Just thought it would to be fun and if it was true if any think that would be documented it would be the royals. From what I have learned seems to be true is the King Henry VIII tree does go to William The Conqueror of France.