Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Upgrade failure; options?

More
5 years 9 months ago #1 by Randy
Upgrade failure; options? was created by Randy
This is definitely a blast from the past.

Trying to upgrade from 1.2.4 to 1.7.9 (I know, don't ask). Migration of DB Schema from ver 15 to 22 succeeds. (WT_SCHEMA_VERSION goes from 15 to 22). Trying to reach ver 37 in 1.7.9. Upgrade to 23 is the last in the 1.4.0 upgrade.
Get failure Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /mypath/public_html/app/Schema/Migration22.php on line 59 I cannot override the PHP max_execution_time of 30 secs on the server.
I do have SSH access and direct MySQL access. Do not believe the SQL queries themselves are so strictly limited. (Or can break them up to do in chunks if really needed.)
Any way to do these/this Schema upgrade(s) with SQL instead of PHP scripts?
The line seems to be processing Media for the "new" firewall mechanism (likely a sore point from many years ago from what I can tell). As the 1.4.x upgrade mentioned to do, but I already had been doing so anyway, all media is in a protected folder / setup. There are nearly 1300 media items in the table. All in the same "firewall protected" directory not accessible from the HTML server directly.

Any quick idea on how to move forward? (Not entertaining suggestions of changing the server at this time.) I restored myself down to 1.3.2 awaiting any further input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Upgrade failure; options?
If your server cannot download/extract the .ZIP file in 30 seconds, then you need to do a "manual upgrade".

This is easier than it sounds.

1) Download the 1.7.9 release from github.com/fisharebest/webtrees/releases...9/webtrees-1.7.9.zip to your local computer.

2) Unzip the file

3) Use your favourite FTP program to copy the files to the server, overwriting the existing files.

Note: The upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4 changed the way media files were stored. If you used the defaults, then everything will just work. Since you had enabled the "media firewall directory", you will need to move your media files after the upgrade. Essentially, since 1.4 you need to move the entire "data" folder, which contains your media folders. Get the upgrade done first, then we can help with moving media files afterwards.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #3 by Randy
Replied by Randy on topic Upgrade failure; options?
Thank you for the reply. Sorry if I was not clear. The timeout is in running the DB schema update script from ver 22 to 23. The one that modifies the media table,
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Randy.

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #4 by fisharebest
> Sorry if I was not clear.

My apologies. Tues/Weds/Thurs are busy for me, and I'm rushing to catch up on several days of email.

The code looks as if it was designed to carry on after a timeout.
Did you try refreshing the page several times?

If this doesn't help, then you may have discovered a bug.

I'm afraid this is really old code, and I don't remember much about how the media firewall worked. I'd need to set up a 1.3 test installation to investigate, and don't have time right now.

Can you disable the media-firewall before doing the upgrade? If not, perhaps you could tell me what settings you use for the location your installation, the data folder and the media-firewall folder.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

More
5 years 9 months ago #5 by Randy
No problem. Appreciate the consideration.

Don't think it is a bug. Just dealing with the service provider arbitrary limitation (never usually run into it). I tried restarting 15+ times and did not notice a change in the DB.

I do not care about collected stats but do about the configuration for the tree. Maybe I will try to export, then upload / overlay a small tree without media, upgrade, and re-import the main tree with media. Could be a work-around.

Just was wondering if SQL scripts were available to do the same thing the PHP scripts were. Guess I could decipher the code and write them but ...

• fisharebest
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
5 years 9 months ago #6 by fisharebest
> ust was wondering if SQL scripts were available to do the same thing the PHP scripts were

Most upgrade scripts are SQL only.
This one is a mix of PHP and SQL as it needs to move files as well as update the database.

More
5 years 9 months ago #7 by Randy
Just to provide closure. I was never able to figure out what was causing the issue (investigated code, added a few debug statements, etc). Luckily for me, I had kept an old PHPGedView site as the master (but with separate trees). I simply installed a fresh 1.7.9 release, setup the config, imported the old PHPGEDView site, and hand edited the media entries (SQL) to update for the new media location. Used your new merge utilities instead of the external GENMerge as there is very little overlap in the different trees (purposeful). So marking it solved albeit I used a work-around. Some odd "duplicates" pop up after renumbering and doing some of the merges. But will report on that separately.