Web based family history software

This Help forum is for issues relates to the latest release (1.7.9). For issues related to beta or github version please use their own Help forum.
Before asking for help please read "How to request help" by clicking on that tab above here."

Question [SOLVED] Incorrect media counter in repo's sources listing

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #1 by trejder
The repository's sources listing incorrectly counts number of multimedia files (5th column in the "Sources" tab), if any source is referenced by given multimedia file using LOWERCASE.

(i.e. I had a single multimedia file referencing given source using "s1" and repository's sources listing showed "0" in 5th column for this source)

In all other views -- as far as I managed to check -- source referencing is case insensitive and works as expected.

Is this bug recognized and possibly fixed in newer versions of webtrees or shall I report it into GitHub and provide more details?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #2 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Incorrect media counter in repo's sources listing
Providing a true count of linked records (taking into account privacy, etc.) would be too time consuming.

So, we have some code which does a simple count/lookup. It ignores privacy and looks at raw data - which is a very fast operation.

This is case-insensitive, as you have discovered.

So, yes it is a bug. The same logic is also used in the 2.0 dev code, and the problem would appear there as well.

FYI, the "check for errors" function in the control panel should help you find these mis-matches.

webtrees is tolerant of them - but other applications might not be quite so forgiving.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #3 by trejder
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I was aware of how this mechanism works because either I read it somewhere here, in the forum or you have already explained this to me in some other thread. Anyway, thank you for your time.

However, you haven't answered to my general question -- shall I rise a bug in GitHub for this or will you handle this internally, after my above initial report?

More
4 years 10 months ago #4 by fisharebest
Replied by fisharebest on topic Incorrect media counter in repo's sources listing
Create a github issue for it.

The issue affects all linked counts - not just media.

Greg Roach - greg@subaqua.co.uk - @fisharebest@phpc.social - fisharebest.webtrees.net

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #5 by trejder
Problem solved.

• trejder
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #6 by trejder